Saturday, January 28, 2017

Reading Comprehension

I really liked the activity that we did at the beginning of class about "What would you do first" and what it supposedly revealed about our personalities. It is a fun, interactive way to start the class and a great warm-up.

Telephone ringing - work
Baby Crying - family
Doorbell - friends
Clothes line full (raining) - money
Sink about to overfill - sex

I was also thinking about other ideas for warm-ups to start class. I have a planner that has jokes for each week, and many of the jokes make use of a double-meaning of a word or similar sounding words, and things from current pop-culture. I know Ana mentioned that before she starts class she expects the students to have the date written on the board. I was thinking another "waiting" or warm-up activity along with the date would be to leave the joke on the desk and have them write the first part on the board, and then while they are waiting for the teacher to arrive they would have to try and think of the "punch line" to the joke. Most of the jokes are cheesy, but I still think they are good. Once the teacher arrives she could take 2 or 3 guesses from students as to what they think the "punch line" is, and if someone guesses it correctly they would get a prize and if not, simply reveal what the punch line is at the start of class.

For example, here is one of the jokes from my planner:

What's Forrest Gump's Facebook password?
      1forrest 1*.
( it sounds similar to "run forrest run" the famous line that Jenny shouts in the movie when Forrest is trying to run away from the bullies while he is walking home from school. ) It's not a great joke by any means, but it's still funny and I think it could be an interactive and enjoyable way to start class. If the students don't know that scene from the movie, it could also be a "bell work activity" to show them that scene on YouTube at the end of class. I included it here in case you don't know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2-MCPa_3rU




1 comment:

  1. Perfect way of making all these ideas your own. The movie trailer could also be used in class with the purpose of making students think of some behaviours.

    ReplyDelete