Saturday, January 28, 2017

Key Competencies

Although I wasn´t in the first session, I really enjoyed watching the videos that were in the summary, especially the music video cover of Adele's "Someone like you." I'm a big Adele fan. Of all the key competencies I think C7 (Cultural) is the one that I relate to most. We add so much more to language learning when we incorporate culture. 

My experience living and studying Spanish in Seville, Spain in 2007 set the tone for and shaped my language learning. I not only fell in love with a language, but the country, and the people. I truly believe that if I hadn't had the experience of living with a family and studying Spanish in Seville, Spain I wouldn't have learned as much, nor do I think I would have pursued using Spanish language in my career in the U.S. or be back here in Spain today.

As a result, I am a fierce advocate for study abroad experiences, I even wrote my undergraduate thesis about this topic. As a future teacher I hope to be able to incoroporate the cultural aspect as much as possible in my English classes, because I want people to connect with English on not only a cognitive level, but also an emotional level, so that their learning can be deeper and more profound. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment