¨Lo que no puede ser es que venir al instituto es un problema más en su vida.¨ - Luz
This was a quote that I wrote down from class the day that we discussed Life Skills and PMAR, and I have to say that I completely agree. Ana has also said something similar along the lines of, "if you are the teacher that when they see you in the hall, they think "we have to go to "her/his" class" and they have a bad attitude towards you, it's not going to be a fun 50 minutes for anyone.
Of all the activities that we examined during this class, I found the "My Weekly Timetable" to be the most interesting, because I think it gives the teacher a "sneak peek" into the personal lives of their students, and the opportunity to get to know them better and see how they spend their time. Even if I don't have the opportunity to teach a Life Skills class I plan on using this sheet with my regular English classes. I think it is vital information for the teacher to have to see how much homework he/she can realistically expect the students to complete. For example, after reviewing all of the "my weekly timetable" sheets for a class you may realize that Wednesdays are a very busy day for the majority of the class, it would make sense to be considerate and try not to assign homework, or extensive homework on Wednesdays etc. I also liked the idea of making a "pact" with your students about how many times a week homework would be assigned. I hope that if students feel you take their opinions in to account and it is a joint decision it will make them more accountable for the work.
Most of the Tutorial time activ9ities CAN actually be used in a regular English class; conversely, many of the activities from the English class could be used in Tutorials (environmental issues, recycling, sex stereotypes...). It only takes a little planning and adapting of materials.
ReplyDelete